I didn’t watch a lot of movies in 2017 but I saw a few things that I’m excited to share. Three of these I saw more than once in the theater, which is really uncommon for me.
Because I didn’t see much in theaters this year, I’m including films that didn’t debut in 2017. They’re listed towards the end. Otherwise, in no particular order, here’s a short list of my favorite films this year:
- Lady Bird (dir. Greta Gerwig)
- Call Me By Your Name (dir. Luca Guadagnino)
- Get Out* (dir. Jordan Peele)
- Baby Driver* (dir. Edgar Wright)
- Blade Runner 2049* (dir. Denis Villeneuve)
- The Florida Project (dir. Sean Baker)
- 20th Century Women (dir. Mike Mills)
- It Follows (dir. David Robert Mitchell)
- American Honey (dir. Andrea Arnold)
The * denotes that I paid to see the film in the theater twice. What a good year for that.